Wednesday 1 April 2015

THE CREEP

The machine wakes me up invading my space and I roll over to look at the time. My alarm hasn’t even gone off yet and I wonder what in blazes is making that chainsaw like noise that seems to be getting closer to where I live.

I pull back the curtains and it’s pouring with rain then I sniff the acrid smell that burns your throat and seems to engulf your lungs making you go into a coughing fit. I reach for my mask beside my bedside, it’s too late to make a dash to my car and leave the area.

The white smoke creeps stealthily under the door, through the cracks, into each pore of the building. This toxic fog pervades everything and coats it in a layer of greyish white.

Every couple of months “fogging” is undertaken in Bali and it amazes me that the locals who do the spraying often don’t even wear masks. Some hotels and residences do “fogging” more often, aiming to reduce the outbreak of dengue and kill the mosquito lava.

I was recently at a hotel checking out the rooms for a friends event and all of a sudden without any warning, the place was “fogged”. Confused people came out of rooms wondering if the place was on fire.  Having experienced “fogging” previously I rushed to get away, but alas again too late. The garage where my car was parked was well enclosed with only one opening for air to circulate, so the fog was thick down there and not likely to disappear in a hurry. Staff, with no regard to health or even realizing the toxic effects of this pesticide, walked down to the garage and drove the car up to the street level so we could make our getaway.

I personally don’t know whether fogging makes the situation better but I often feel I see more mosquitos after fogging than before. Could that be my imagination and my annoyance at this practice?


Dengue and Chikungunya are viruses transmitted by mosquitos in Bali and many other countries around the world. There is no known antidote but the juice of the leaves of the young papaya plant, though bitter, are known to help.

Have you encountered any either of these two viruses? Tell us about your experience.



No comments:

Post a Comment